Monday, October 22, 2012

Will Xoom Defy Nexus?

See my Android devices - a Motorola Xoom, a Google/Asus Nexus 7 and a Motorola Defy (phone). The phone is crappy, it hangs from time to time, but the small footprint is too convenient to replace. But I am looking!

Last week the Google Nexus 7 arrived here in Norway, and I ran out to get one. So now the question is; will I prefer the old Xoom or the new Nexus?

So far I am very pleased with the smaller footprint and it is significantly faster.

One of the applications areas I will be looking at is as an alternative to the graphing calculators allowed in Norwegian schools. With decent calculator apps I see a tablet as a much better investment than a regular calculator which has few other uses.

I have six calculator alternatives installed already, including a Gnu Octave based ecosystem. This one has a user interface that runs in a unix terminal, but I doubt if my kids have that background. Then there is the Mathlab alternative. I may end up upgrading to the payed version for off-line availability.

And writing this post on the Nexus worked very well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers